Rey Bango

Web developer, honey badger

UPDATE: The poll is now closed. You can see the results in this blog post.

I want to compile a list of the most common tools, frameworks & libs web developers are using today. Things seem to change daily with new, cool, and helpful projects announced all the time. It’d be great to nail some of these down as a reference.

Examples:

jQuery
Backbone
Underscore
Grunt
Mocha
RequireJS
HTML5 Boilerplate
Modernizr
SASS
Compass

Rebecca Murphey took a stab at this a couple of months ago.

So, what are you using that makes your front-end dev insanely easier?

Category: CSS3, HTML5, JavaScript

Tagged:

15 Responses

1. Sean O says:

By “tools”, I take it you’re including applications?
    If so, Sublime Text 2 saves me time every time I use it.

Also, Twitter Bootstrap can save hours of setup time on new projects – with the caveat of required customization for production to avoid “that Bootstrap look.”

• Rey Bango says:

Hey Sean, I’m talking about sites or applications. And yea editors are definitely in the mix. I setup a poll that actually includes it since it seems to be the editor of choice.

2. Roland says:

I used knockoutjs a few months ago for a complex UI

3. Udo says:

jQuery is my favorite ECMAScript Framework, on board of HTML5Boilerplate, edited in Sublime 2, published mostly via Filezilla and WinSCP. Smaller changes are made over PuTTY within vi :)

4. Eliseu Monar says:

Tools: Chrome, Sublime Text 2, CodeKit, Fireworks and Terminal
    Libs: jQuery, Modernizr, Underscore, Grunt, Jasmine, Selenium (Python), LESS, Boilerplate
    Websites: ClosureCompiler, Arantius Tabifier, Colorzilla Gradient Generator, JSBeautifier, Prefixr, lessphp

All of these help me a lot! Oh, we can’t forget Grooveshark, iTunes, Quake 3 and Unreal haha

5. Joan Piedra says:

Hey Rey,

I’d like to add some I’m using in a daily basis:

Stylus (CSS pre-processor like SASS)
    Nib (Stylus version of Compass)
    Lo-Dash (high performance Underscore)
    CoffeeScript (JS pre-processor)

6. [...] Essential Tools, Libs and Frameworks for Front-End Development. What are you Using? – Rey Bango is running a poll to gather the details of the libraries being used for front end web development these days – if you have 5 minutes spare go give him your feedback – results will be published some time later. [...]

7. Ravishankar V says:

Hi,
    I am trying to get my arms around the whole web app space and this helps.
    Can we attempt a version 1.1 for this. Here’s a reordered list that I feel may help organize stuff. I may have got a few classification titles wrong and there is always going to be a debate of what fits in where.
    Regards,

KnockoutJS
    Handlebars
    AngularJS

Languages
    Coffeescript

8. Jamie says:

In addition to some of the more general purpose framework tools others have already mentioned, when.js is a beautiful little promises library. I use it everything. Can’t say enough good about it.

9. zias says:

I use Ember now. Pretty sweet.

10. Francisco Alvarez says:

Couple tools/websites that I use:
    - http://gtmetrix.com/
    - http://css3please.com/
    - PNGGauntlet (optimize images)
    - Notepad++

HTML5 Boilerplate
    Modernizr
    SASS
    Compass
    KnockoutJS
    Handlebars

That’s it, my “Swiss Army Knife”

12. George says:

Tools: Chrome, Coda 2
    Libs: jQuery, Modernizr. HTML5Boilerplate, YUI
    Websites: Arantius Tabifier, JSFiddle, BrowserLab

13. Vladimir says:

Can’s see the poll – it’s closed to view :(

Learn JavaScript!

What to Read to Get Up to Speed in JavaScript.

The best books & blogs for learning JavaScript development. Broken down by experience levels!

My BIG LIST of JavaScript, CSS & HTML Development Tools, Libraries, Projects, and Books.

Constantly updated with the latest and greatest tools. Check it out!